Friday, March 15, 2013

Korean Seafood Pancake

All my pics at work sucked, so here is a pic of four pancakes I took at home.

I tried one of these at a fantastic Korean restaurant in Toronto and immediately fell in love. This recipe is a mangling of two recipes, one from Maangchi (my usual go-to for all Korean recipes and quite possibly the most comprehensive recipe/how-to site in the universe) and the Kitchn, but I basically just used their sauce recipe. I'm not going to pretend that this is at all authentic. I'm Chinese and struggle to make authentic Chinese food as it is. This is just my version of the dish with what I had in my house.

Ingredients
Pancake

  • 1 cup flour (I use whole wheat flour because it's healthy. I think.)
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 green onions, chopped (you should probably use more, but I only had 2 left)
  • 1 cup mixed seafood, chopped roughly
  • 1 jalapeƱo, seeds discarded and chopped. Make sure you wash your hands RIGHT after handling these or else your hands will buuuuurrrnnn!!!
  • cooking oil


Sauce (in ratio)

  • Mostly soy sauce
  • Almost the same amount of rice wine vinegar, to taste
  • A bit of sesame oil
  • 1 smashed and minced garlic clove


Let's do it!

  1. Put the flour, water, salt and egg in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until it forms a thin batter. Mix as little as possible.
  2. Add green onions, seafood (I used the ready-mixed frozen kind and defrosted it in the fridge overnight), and jalapeno. Mix until combined.
  3. Coat the bottom of a non-stick pan with cooking oil and heat it to medium low. Put in two ladles of the mixture and spread so that the veggies and seafood are evenly distributed. Mine came up to about 8 inches in diameter. Any bigger and I'm pretty positive I wouldn't be able to flip them.
  4. Cook until  the sides are cooked and the bottom is golden. At this point, the pancake should move around on it's own if you shove the pan around. 
  5. If you can do that awesome pancake flip thing, do so. If you're like me, use a spatula to help you along.
  6. Cook for another couple of minutes, until the bottom is golden.
  7. Repeat until the batter is gone. Mine made about 4 servings, good for two lunches and two dinners. Or two big lunches, more likely.
  8. To make the dipping sauce, just mix all that stuff together.
Lunch it up!
I put this on some rice and had kale as a side. I put the dipping sauce in a small screw-top jar. Here's the pic I took at work. You don't even know what's going on. I'm just happy to have found my nice lens, so here it is.




No comments:

Post a Comment