Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Lainey-style Gumbo

That's right, I have a pretty sweet cutting mat at work.

Full disclosure: I've never had gumbo anywhere else but my own home. For all I know, this recipe tastes NOTHING like the real deal. But it's loosely based on a gumbo recipe I found online, that also mentioned that everyone's gumbo is different, depending on the ingredients you like to use. So I'm going for it.

Call it what you like, it's definitely tasty. So here we go!


Ingredients: 
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup oil
1 large onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup veggies (I used a turnip)
3 bay leaves
1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
6 sausages (I used chorizo), sliced into rounds
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (but use whatever beans you like)
3 cups or so chicken stock
1 can/jar diced tomatoes

Let's do it!
  1. Heat up a soup pot with oil until it moves around the pot really quickly if you tip it. Add flour and whisk/stir with a wooden spoon for at least 25 minutes in low heat until it gets nice and dark. This is the roux that will thicken the gumbo.
  2. Add all veggies into the pot and stir until onions are translucent. 
  3. Add spices.
  4. Add sausage and let them cook in the bottom of the pan for a few minutes.
  5. Add beans, tomatoes and enough chicken stock to cover everything. Bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour or so.
  6. Serve over rice.
Makes about 6 servings.

Easy? So easy. Yummy? SO YUMMY.

No comments:

Post a Comment