I know, it looks gross, but it tastes great.
Okay, this is nowhere near authentic. I tried to make authentic enchilada sauce and it was a horrific failure. So here's my version. Note, the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce is what gives this sauce the right flavour. It will be spicy. I don't know how to avoid this. If you like spicy, then add more peppers!
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- a bit of cooking oil
- 1 can whole tomatoes (diced and crushed are inferior quality. A guy who used to work in a tomato canning factory told me!)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, with some sauce
- 1/2 onion, chopped roughly
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 small corn or flour tortillas
- shredded vegan cheese (I used Daiya mozzarella)
Let's do it!Refried Beans:
- Heat the cooking oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the kidney beans and cumin and stir to coat the beans.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher and add some water to make it more of a paste. I add water several times during this process as it gets absorbed by the beans. You want it to be thick, but not so thick that you can't spread it on something easily. I added more water and simmered this on low while I made the sauce.
- Drain the can of whole tomatoes into a blender.
- Deseed the tomatoes. I do this by submerging them in a bowl of water, opening each tomato and scraping the seeds out with my fingers under the water.
- Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle pepper and about 2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce into the blender.
- Blend until it's all blended nicely together.
- Let this mixture simmer in a small soup pot for about 30 minutes, or until you no longer taste raw onions.
Put it together!
- Warm up the tortillas in the microwave under a damp paper towel. You want them to be pliable so they don't break when you try to roll them. Like mine did.
- In an oven safe casserole dish, ladle a thin layer of sauce.
- Take your tortilla, put a line of beans in the middle, then some shredded cheese. Roll it up and put it cut side down into the dish.
- Repeat until you fill the dish.
- Top with more cheese, then a generous helping of sauce.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted!